Zero Waste Needs Your Help
NCRA's Zero Waste Advocacy Committee is its action arm to get to zero. We sue when need be, track legislation, write letters of support on matters of concern, and try to rock the boat NCRA style. Our committee is currently understaffed to do all that needs doing. We need NCRA members to be a part of this effort and join this committee. Meetings are few and far between as we communicate mostly by email, so you won't have another meeting to go to. We especially need: 1) alerts from you when you see an important legal issue about waste and recycling coming to your community; and 2) help writing letters and campaigning for the NCRA position. If you are interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure to include you.
- Helped write and pass Alameda County Measure D landfill charge for programs.
- Litigated to settlement limits on Waste Management's desired expansion of the Altamont Landfill.
- Filed amicus brief in landmark California Supreme Court Case: Waste Management of the Desert v. Palm Springs Recycling.
- Supported fee for service recyclable collection in amicus briefs in City of San Marcos v. Coast Waste Management, Woodfeathers v. Washington County, AGG Enterprises v. Washington County, Pleasant Hill Bayshore Disposal v. Chip-It Recycling.
- Appeared at public hearings on recycling issues in, among others, Pleasanton, Santa Rosa, South San Francisco, Sonoma County, and the Alameda County Recycling Board.
- Tracking current legislation, recommending positions and writing support/opposition letters.
NCRA has several committees that members can participate in. These committees advocate for Zero Waste, schedule tours, provides education and outreach, and manage the logistics and newsletter. Currently, the following committees meet monthly and play an advocacy role:
- Zero Waste Advocacy (ZWAC)
- Industry Support Services
Support Your Cause or Organization
NCRA supports many organizations, individuals, and legislative efforts.
The NCRA Board meets the third Thursday of the month - except in August and December.
The NCRA Board will not meet in February due to a scheduled retreat.
Activities: Faustina Mututa, Chair and Jenny Cutter
Communications Committee: Portia Sinnott, Chair, Tomer Shapira and all of you.
Membership and Engagement: Jessica Connolly and Tomer Shapira, Co-Chairs
Zero Waste Advocacy: Arthur Boone, Chair; John Moore, David Tam and Doug Brooms
Zero Waste Youth Convergence: Jessica Connolly and Emmanuel Nava, Co-Chairs
NCRA supports many important organizations and projects in our industry. Below, you will find some of the organizations and projects your membership dollars have supported over the last few years:
The Bay Area Recycling Outreach Coalition
Californians Against Waste
Container Recycling Institute
Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance
Grassroots Recycling Network
The Story of Stuff
Zero Waste Brain Trust