Zero Waste Needs Your Help
NCRA's Zero Waste Advocacy Committee is its action arm to get to zero. We sue when need be, track legislation, write letters of support on matters of concern, and try to rock the boat NCRA style. Our committee is currently understaffed to do all that needs doing. We need NCRA members to be a part of this effort and join this committee. Meetings are few and far between as we communicate mostly by email, so you won't have another meeting to go to. We especially need: 1) alerts from you when you see an important legal issue about waste and recycling coming to your community; and 2) help writing letters and campaigning for the NCRA position. If you are interested, email email@example.com and we will make sure to include you.
- Helped write and pass Alameda County Measure D landfill charge for programs.
- Litigated to settlement limits on Waste Management's desired expansion of the Altamont Landfill.
- Filed amicus brief in landmark California Supreme Court Case: Waste Management of the Desert v. Palm Springs Recycling.
- Supported fee for service recyclable collection in amicus briefs in City of San Marcos v. Coast Waste Management, Woodfeathers v. Washington County, AGG Enterprises v. Washington County, Pleasant Hill Bayshore Disposal v. Chip-It Recycling.
- Appeared at public hearings on recycling issues in, among others, Pleasanton, Santa Rosa, South San Francisco, Sonoma County, and the Alameda County Recycling Board.
- Tracking current legislation, recommending positions and writing support/opposition letters.
NCRA has several committees that members can participate in. These committees advocate for Zero Waste, schedule tours, provides education and outreach, and manage the logistics and newsletter. Currently, the following committees meet monthly and play an advocacy role:
- Zero Waste Advocacy (ZWAC)
- Industry Support Services
Support Your Cause or Organization
NCRA supports many organizations, individuals, and legislative efforts.
The Annual Members Meeting is coming up on January 16, 2014, at Stop Waste in Oakland. If you only make one NCRA meeting a year, this is a great one to catch. Help us revisit the year’s accomplishments and set priorities for the upcoming year. Dinner is provided to all members who RSVP, and the format will be interactive and engaging. Stay tuned for more details!
SAVE-THE-DATE for Recycling Update 19 on March 18, 2014. Click here for more info.
NCRA's first ever Nature of Materials B class was held on Dec 3 at the new headquarters for the San Francisco Department of the Environment and featured presentations by industry professionals on textiles, ceramics, soils, reuse and chemicals. For links to the presentations given, pls click on the links below:
Thanks to all those who attended and stay tuned for more classes like these!
The NCRA Board meets the third Thursday of the month - except in August and December.
November 21: BOARD MEETING, OAKLAND, 6:30PM
Meet us in Oakland at the law office of Henn, Etzel and Moore on Thursday, November 21 for a 5:30pm dinner and sharings followed by the meeting at 6:30. The address is 1970 Broadway, Suite 950, Oakland, CA 94612 - near the 19th/Broadway BART station. Planning to come late? Let a Board Director know in advance so someone can come let you in.
Zero Waste Advocacy: Arthur (Robin) Boone, Chair; John Moore, David Pilpel, David Tam, and Portia Sinnott
Activities: Faustina Mututa, Chair; and Jenny Cutter
Membership and Youth Engagement: Jessica Connolly and Tomer Shapira, Co-Chairs
Newsletter Committee: Portia Sinnott, Chair, Laura McKaughan, Jordan Figueiredo, Jenny Cutter, Jessica Hiller and Jon Gire.
NCRA supports many important organizations and projects in our industry. Below, you will find some of the organizations and projects your membership dollars have supported over the last few years:
The Bay Area Recycling Outreach Coalition
Californians Against Waste
Container Recycling Institute
Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance
Grassroots Recycling Network
The Story of Stuff
Zero Waste Brain Trust